Luis Fernández de la Vega
St. Teresa of Avila

1659
Cathedral of St. Savior, Oviedo, Spain

The retable of St. Teresa of Ávila, in the south transept of Oviedo's Cathedral of St. Savior. Below, left to right: Peter of Alcantará, Teresa, and St. John of the Cross. Above: the prophet Elijah.
This is the central statue in a retable in the south crossing. The clothing is a souped-up version of the more modest habit of the Discalced Carmelites. St. Teresa is identified by the inscription on the podium.

In a similar statue in California the right thumb and index finger are held in the same way and hold a quill pen, so it is likely that this statue also had a pen at one time. The pen and book refer to St. Teresa's authorship of several influential works on the contemplative life.

One wonders if the statue also once featured the traditional dove on the shoulder.

This image in full resolution
More of St. Teresa of Avila

Photographed at the cathedral by Richard Stracke, shared under Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license.